Published: August 2026 · FD.STIL
Over twenty light fittings designed and made by us, in solid brass, for the Nativity of the Mother of God church in Săpânța. The three chandeliers in the nave alone have some 500 component parts each. The work was done in stages, between 2021 and 2023, as the parish could carry each step.Every fitting is a new piece, designed and made in our own workshop — none of them reconditioned or brought in from elsewhere.
The parish came with a request that is simple to state and hard to solve: lighting for a whole church, in one language, from the chandelier in the middle of the nave to the lantern in the porch. You do not buy that from a catalogue — it is drawn for that particular building, for its spans, its heights and the painting that shows between the arms.
The finish throughout is Antique I brass: a polished surface, an even patina and clear lacquer over it. The same finish on every fitting, so that the stages do not show.
A chandelier like this is not assembled from tubes cut to length. The rosettes, the basket, the arm ends, the pierced rings and every visible piece are separate parts — cast, cut and filed one by one, then mounted on the frame. That is where the roughly 500 parts of a single central fitting come from.
The two rings of arms, 24 and 12, sit at different heights precisely so that the light does not fall in one block. The four bulbs in the basket at the base shine upwards, into the pierced work, and keep the piece alive even when everything else is switched off.
Solid brass is not a workshop preference but a condition of durability: a piece made of thin sheet deforms under its own weight and under the heat of the bulbs, and within a few years the arms no longer sit in the same plane. A cast arm stays where it was put.
For the same reason we keep the moulds and the working drawings. If an element breaks ten years from now, another identical one is made — not a “similar” one. See how we work in the workshop.
Săpânța is first documented on 30 October 1373. The old wooden church burned down on Easter night in 1880, on the site of the present one. The church standing today was built between 1882 and 1886, of stone and brick, under the priest Ioan Huba Junior, with a single tower that also serves as the belfry. It is dedicated to the Nativity of the Mother of God.
The fresco painting was made between 1962 and 1964 and consecrated in October 1966. Since 2007 the church has been under an extensive programme of rehabilitation, restoration and consolidation, which gave it the appearance it has today.
This is the church in the middle of the Merry Cemetery — the one surrounded by the blue crosses painted by Stan Ioan Pătraș and his successors, the place people travel to Maramureș for from all over the world.
That changed the way we looked at the work. A light fitting in a house is seen by a few dozen people. Here tens of thousands come in a single year — and many of them look up before they look at anything else.
None of this happened at once. The parish ordered stage by stage, while we kept the drawing, the finish and the proportions unchanged from one stage to the next — which is why the church looks today as though all the lighting had been put up in a single day.
We make chandeliers, sconces, candlesticks and lanterns in brass, drawn for your own church, and we restore old fittings — including ones that came out of other workshops. We work in stages if that is how the budget comes together, and we keep the drawings so that the later stages come out identical.
Send us a few photographs of the interior and the heights up to the vault. We will come back with a proposal and a quotation.
Byzantine chandeliers, handmade brass · Chandelier restoration · Bespoke pieces · For architects · All projects
Search the collections · 900 models, 14 styles